Blomdahl Medical Ear Piercing Made in Sweden
Designed for families concerned with the health risks associated with ear piercing – blood-borne viruses and nickel allergy – Blomdahl considers ear piercing to be a medical procedure. With that in mind, the Blomdahl Medical Ear Piercing System has been designed from a medical standpoint, using modern technology and safe materials.
Safe, Clean And Sterile Ear Piercing
The Blomdahl system is developed entirely upon what is known as the “modern aseptic technique” within the health care industry. This means that all our products and methods are safely designed to avoid the spreading of infection and exposure to nickel allergy during the piercing process. The sterile method guarantees that the piercing is hygienic and safe. Medical ear piercing is a safe, clean and comfortable ear-piercing option and our goal is to make it available to all Australian families.
Are you looking for a safe way to have your ears pierced?
Then you have come to the right place…at Beauty Grace – the therapist has more than 20 years of experience in ear piercing. This is exactly what we offer: Using sterile products, hygienic methods and skin-friendly jewellery, we always put your skin and your health first. Out of special consideration for children, we have developed medical simultaneous ear piercing in order to speed up the piercing process without compromising safety.
Piercing earrings for optimal healing
Blomdahl piercing earrings are not like ordinary earrings. They are specially designed to facilitate the healing so that you can easily change to regular earrings after the healing period.
The earring back is the key to optimal healing
When air can circulate around a new piercing, it will heal better. That is why the earring backs on Blomdahl piercing earrings are always fixed at the tip of the post, where they also encapsulate the tip. The earring backs cannot be moved like on regular earrings. That way the air can always circulate around the new piercing.
Airy healing with longer posts
In order for the new piercing to be kept airy and to heal better, it is important that the piercing earring has the right length. But all earlobes differ in thickness. For slightly thicker earlobes Blomdahl has developed piercing earrings with extra long posts.
Safer to change earrings after the healing period, you can remove the piercing earrings and change to other earrings. However, the skin that has grown within the holes is still thin and delicate and can easily tear. It takes up to a year before the holes have healed completely. The holes have also a tendency to shrink. Blomdahl’s piercing earrings have been designed so that the holes will be slightly wider in the beginning and thereby not get so easily damaged when you change earrings.
Why Blomdahl Medical Ear Piercing
Blomdahl piercing earrings are not like ordinary earrings. They are specially designed to facilitate the healing so that you can easily change to regular earrings after the healing period.
Ear piercing is a medical procedure, so there is every reason to make sure that it is done properly. Blomdahl’s Medical Ear Piercing has been developed from a medical standpoint, using modern technology and safe materials. Ear piercing has taken a big step forward making piercing safer. Medical Plastic – 0% nickel and Medical Titanium – 0% nickel
Medical Plastic and Titanium is the only material for ear piercing with 0% nickel. With pure, medical plastic & titanium you can guarantee that you will not be exposed to any nickel. Recommended for children and adults who want to be absolutely certain that they will not develop nickel allergy during the healing period. We use Swarovski Crystals.
Medical Ear Piercing in few STEPS
- Mark the desired location of the piercing is marked with a surgical marker pen.
- DISINFECT The skin is cleansed with alcohol swabs
- Sterile disposable products, the ear-piercing is carried out using sterile piercing earrings positioned inside sterile disposable holders. all the parts you come in contact with, come directly out of the sterile packaging.
Piercing earrings for optimal Healing
- Blomdahl piercing earrings are not like ordinary earrings. they are specially designed to facilitate the healing so that you can easily change to regular earrings after the healing period.
- The earring back is the key to optimal healing. When air can circulate around a new piercing, it will heal better. That is why the earring backs on Blomdahl piercing earrings are always fixed at the tip of the post, where they also encapsulate the tip. The earring backs cannot be moved like on regular earrings. That way the air can always circulate around the new piercing.
- Airy with longer posts, In order for the new piercing to be kept airy and to heal better, it is important that the piercing earring has the right length. But all earlobes differ in thickness. For slightly thicker earlobes Blomdahl has developed piercing earrings with extra long posts.
- Safer to change earrings, After the healing period, you can remove the piercing earrings and change to other earrings. However, the skin that has grown within the holes is still thin and delicate and can easily tear. It takes up to a year before the holes have healed completely. The holes have also a tendency to shrink. Blomdahl’s piercing earrings have been designed so that the holes will be slightly wider in the beginning and thereby not get so easily damaged when you change earrings.
- Never touch your ears with unclean hands.
- Wash your newly pierced ears (on both sides) thoroughly twice a day. Do not remove the earrings when cleansing.
- When showering/washing your hair, use liquid soap and rinse thoroughly with clean running water. Dry with a Kleenex or Q-tip.
- Supplementary cleansing is done with Blomdahl Piercing Aftercare cleansing swabs, which are gentle on the skin. The swabs make it possible to clean between your ears and the earrings/earring backs. Allow airing dry. Use a new cleansing swab for each ear, each time. Note! Do not clean with alcohol.
- Make sure that the area around the holes is kept clean, dry and airy at all times
- Cover your ears when applying make-up, hair spray, spray perfume, hair dye, etc.
- Take extra care when you are putting on/pulling off clothing over your head, in order to prevent the earrings from getting caught
- Bathing in a swimming pool, lake or sea: wait for as long as possible after the piercing and avoid keeping your head underwater. When you come out of the water, cleanse with liquid soap or with Blomdahl Piercing Aftercare cleansing swabs – see point 2 above.
- After approx. 6 to 8 weeks (cartilage approx. 12 weeks), you can change to new earrings. This is how to remove the ear piercing earrings: wash your hands and ears thoroughly. With one hand, take hold of the jewellery part (front) of the ear piercing earring. With the other hand, wriggle the earring back, back and forth, until you feel it loosens. Carefully remove the ear piercing earrings and put in new, clean earrings.
- It takes up to a year before the holes are completely healed. Hence consider the following:
- Always wear earrings. If you go without, the holes can shrink and/or close completely.
- Take extra care when changing earrings. The skin that has grown within the holes is still thin and delicate and can easily tear, which may cause an infection. Therefore, always make sure to wash your earrings and your hands before the change, and make sure that the area around the holes is kept clean, dry and airy. If you use earrings with earring backs, these should not be pressed tightly against the back of the ear.
- The risk of developing a contact allergy is at its greatest during the first year after ear piercing. This is why it is extra important to wear safe earrings during this time. In consultation with skin specialists, Blomdahl has developed skin friendly jewellery suitable for everybody and especially for those who have just pierced their ears.
- IMPORTANT! Redness and/or swelling and/or pain and/or rashes are indicative of a possible infection. If the hole is placed in the soft part of the ear (ear lobe), remove the earring and cleanse/disinfect. If there is no improvement the following day, contact your doctor. If the hole is placed in the cartilage part of the ear, remove the earring, cleanse/disinfect and seek immediate medical attention.
IMPORTANT! Redness and/or swelling and/or pain and/or rashes are indicative of a possible infection. If the hole is placed in the soft part of the ear (ear lobe), remove the earring and cleanse. If there is no improvement the following day, contact your doctor. If the hole is placed in the cartilage part of the ear, remove the earring, cleanse and seek immediate medical attention.
How to cleanse
How to remove the ear piercing earrings
Nickel allergy – how to avoid it
We are not born with a nickel allergy. Nickel allergy is a skin contact allergy that can develop as a result of continuous contact with objects that contain nickel, such as zips, buttons, coins and jewellery. Worldwide clinical studies have all identified and confirmed ear piercing and the wearing of earrings as a prime risk factor for developing nickel allergy, with as many as 10-30% of all women affected. Once you have developed a nickel allergy there is no remedy that can cure the allergy
The only solution is to avoid all contact with metals containing nickel. However, this can be very difficult because all metals contain nickel, even gold and silver, mostly in the form of impurities. Therefore, there is no metal ear piercing earrings that are entirely free from nickel.
Why Moms choose Blomdahl
Nickel allergy and skin sensitivity, 3-4% of the population is born with nickel sensitivity, and 20-25% of people with pierced ears develop some level of nickel allergy/sensitivity. Ear piercing and earrings can cause this condition. The Blomdahl system eliminates this risk by using medical grade ear piercing studs. We also have a complete line of hypoallergenic earrings. You have the opportunity to offer an enormous safety benefit to our customers.
Frequently Asked Questions about Ear Piercing
Do you use a gun for ear piercing?
Yes, we only use Blomdahl’s Gun(as picture) for ear piercing.
Cost of ear piercing?
The price is included ear piercing treatment and Blomdahl’s professional earrings (choose the earrings on arrival).
Which parts of the ear can I get pierced?
The simple and definitely the most popular form of piercing is the lobe piercing and the upper ear is punctured towards the rim which is called the forward helix, as picture:
What types of earrings do you use?
We use pure, homogenous, medical-grade plastic 4mm has 0% latex, nickel or BPA, is super lightweight, and great for everyone. Medical-grade plain titanium is the same material used in surgical implants, eliminating any concerns about allergic reactions. These studs are both considered the safest hypoallergenic earrings to use(picture studs as below). These studs can be worn after the initial piercing studs are removed. The stone is a beautiful Swarovski crystal.
Can I use my own earrings?
No, you may not use your own earrings for piercing. Our special piercing studs are pre-packaged in sterile cassettes specifically designed to be used with the Blomdahl® Medical Ear Piercing system. You will be able to use your own earrings in 6 weeks when the piercing studs are permanently removed.
How does it feel to have your ears pierced?
Everyone experiences an ear piercing differently. Some say it burns a little, others that they can barely feel it at all. Although children may have longed for getting their ears pierced, it sometimes happens that they change their minds after the first hole. Because of this, we have developed medical simultaneous ear piercing, which means that both earlobes are pierced at the same time. The whole procedure is faster, feels safer and is more comfortable for the child.
Do you do simultaneous ear piercing? Yes
Can I be allergic to plastic?
One can develop an allergy to practically every substance also plastic materials. However, the specific plastics of medical grade that we use for the ear piercing earrings (and also normal earrings) have been used extensively on a regular basis in and on humans for more than 35 years. In the medical literature, there are no reports that these plastics have been the cause of allergy.
Do we use numbing cream for ear piercing?
No, you may apply the numbing cream prior to the piercing treatment (30 minutes). We don’t apply numbing cream for our piercing treatments, because the Blomdahl instruments have a separate firing mechanism when you pull tight on the lobe, it compresses the lobe, prior to firing. This compression will actually desensitise the area, meaning it virtually numbs the area naturally.
For how long should I wear the ear piercing earrings?
When you have pierced the soft part of your ear, you can change the ear piercing earring already after four weeks. It takes a longer time to heal a piercing in cartilage, so we recommend you to wait for at least six to seven weeks until you remove the ear piercing earring. When the time has come to change the earrings, we recommend you to take out the ear-piercing earring directly after you have taken a shower and washed your hair. Do not let the piercing be without any earring as the piercing will shrink and the diameter of the hole will quickly be reduced, especially during the first year.
How do you make sure the holes are perfectly centered?
My friends tell me not to pierce high up on the ear through cartilage. They do not know why, but they say it is risky. What is your opinion?
As long as the piercing is done just inside the rolling edge, there are no particular risks involved in the piercing as such. Before you decide to have the cartilage part of your ear pierced, you should, however, understand, that there is not the same kind of “built-in” protection against infection in cartilage as there is in the soft part of the ear (the ear lobe). While you have blood vessels in the soft part, there are no blood vessels in cartilage. The white cells and the oxygen in the red cells of the blood act as a defence against infection. As there are no blood vessels in the cartilage there is no defence mechanism against infection. This means, that it is even more important for your cartilage pierced ear, that you carefully follow the written aftercare instructions, which will be given to you by us. In the case of an infection in the cartilage, we recommend that you remove the earring, clean it with an antiseptic and go and see a physician immediately.
Why should I not twist the earrings during the healing period?
If you twist the earrings without having carefully washed the ears and your hands first, it can result in an infection. A common misunderstanding is that if you do not twist the ear piercing earring the skin will grow onto the earring – this will not happen with Blomdahl Medical Ear Piercing.
On the aftercare instruction that I received when I had my ears pierced, it says nothing about using an antiseptic! Why?
An ear piercing means that you have got a wound. There are two kinds of wounds non-infected wounds and infected wounds. Infected wounds should be treated with an antiseptic. A fresh ear piercing is, however, a non-infected wound. Non-infected wounds should be kept CLEAN, DRY and AIRY.
So, first, wash your hands thoroughly and then wash your pierced ear with liquid soap and a lot of clean running water, e.g. when having a shower. Then use a clean towel to dry the clean piercing. and follow Blomdahl Ear Care cleansing swabs. If the piercing does become infected remove the ear/nose piercing ear/nose ring and cleanse with an antiseptic solution. If there is no improvement the following day, seek medical attention.
I recently was pierced with the Blomdahl Medical Ear Piercing System. The aftercare instructions state the ear-piercing studs should be removed after 6 weeks. Why is this?
Blomdahl ear/nose piercing studs should be removed at 6-10 weeks permanently. The ear/nose piercing studs are designed with extra thick posts (1.3 mm) which are important during that initial healing phase. Think of our ear piercing studs as a short term implant device. If you choose to leave them in, the ear will stabilize at a 1.3 mm diameter. When removed at 6-7 weeks, the inner wall of the piercing has healed enough so that 2 important things have happened:
1. The tissue has healed enough so that nickel ions no longer can so readily pass into the bloodstream. They still do but at a much less rate.
2. You can now insert and remove standard size posts (1.0 mm) without damaging that healing tissue. This decreases the chance of infection. The hole will continue to heal and contract for about a year and the hole will stabilize at 1.0 mm.
The difference between the 1.0 mm hole and the 1.3 mm hole is really not visible, but some styles might wobble. Also, the backs on the ear piercing studs only fit properly once. Once removed the fit gets looser and looser.
What is the best age to pierce my child’s ears?
We recommend piercing at around the age of 5 when the child is able to sit still during the procedure, allowing us to perform safe and perfectly centered piercings.
My kids want to have their ears pierced. I have heard that ear piercing can cause nickel allergy, Is that correct?
The ear-piercing procedure as such cannot cause nickel allergy. It is the material that some ear piercing earrings are made of which can cause nickel allergy. All ear piercing earrings made of metal contains nickel– more or less – even gold and silver. The only ear piercing earrings that do not contain any nickel (= 0% nickel) are the ones made of Medical Plastic. Therefore we recommend that your kids get their ears pierced with Medical Plastic.
Do you do ear piercing for babies to the infant?
Yes, while we understand that it’s your choice, we prefer to pierce a baby’s ears when they’re at least 6 weeks old, more about baby piercing.
Getting re-pierced? here’s what to consider
Are you considering getting your ears re-pierced or your nose re-pierced? Or, any other part of the body that you once had pierced. Are you concerned about scar tissue or infection?
Before any re-piercing procedure, you must make sure that the area is fully healed and able to be re-pierced. In most cases, this means waiting at least two to three months. However, it does depend on the area. For example, noses heal very fast and so this timeframe is a guide only. At the same time, you may be able to choose a slightly different location near the original location to get pierced. Some piercing establishments are of the opinion that you cannot get re-pierced in the same location. This is not true. Scar tissue (fibrosis) which has formed as a result of your piercing being removed, is quite dense. Also, it is often just the entry and exit points that have healed over.
As a result, getting re-pierced in the same location is the optimum location for a piercing to be re-established. This is because the dense tissue will support the piercing and be less prone to infection. However, this may not be the case for everybody. Check with your local general practice.
What about the pain? Many people say getting re-pierced is virtually painless. Be sure to get pierced first thing in the morning when you are at your freshest. What about healing? Generally speaking, healing times can be less than what they were original.
Please note, that we can only perform this treatment on persons 18 years old and above. If you are under the age of 18, parental/guardian consent is required. Your parent/guardian must be present during the performance of the treatment and must sign and agree with our terms and conditions.